Monday, February 4, 2013

Why Tablets? An Introduction

I was struck while reading my library technology textbook when I came across this passage on tablets: “Tablet PCs can run Windows XP or Vista, or Linux, or can be modified to run Mac OS X, though Apple does not sell an official tablet of its own. This innovative interface may make its way into libraries over time” (Burke, 2009). What a difference a few years can make! As we now know, the release of the first iPad in 2010 dramatically overhauled the tablet market and changed the ideas of what a tablet is and what a tablet can do. Fast forward to 2013 and the tablet market continues to grow--nearly a quarter of Americans now own a tablet--and competition in the marketplace is stronger than it has ever been with companies such as Microsoft, Samsung, Google, and Barnes & Noble competing with Apple’s iPad and Amazon’s Kindle Fire.

As a fan of tech gadgetry and curious to see for myself what all the buzz was about, I purchased an iPad 2 in the summer of 2011. I enjoyed the experience of surfing the Web, reading an ebook, watching YouTube, browsing the app store, and playing the occasional game on my tablet. I hoped that I would use my iPad for productive purposes as well, such as word processing, taking notes, and for conducting research on the go; however, I found that, in my experience, my iPad wasn’t as good at these tasks as my trusty old laptop. I missed having a tactile keyboard for typing up long emails and Word documents. And I found that the size and weight of my iPad was a bit cumbersome for reading at long intervals. So, in the fall of 2012, I sold my iPad 2 and purchased the smaller (easier to hold with one hand), newer (the screen has a higher resolution than the iPad2), and more economical (only $200 for the 16 GB version) Google Nexus 7.

As an Apple person familiar with the look and feel of iOS, it took a bit of adjustment to get used to the Android platform; I’m currently running 4.2.1 Jelly Bean on my Nexus 7. But it really wasn’t all that different, and I was able to install many of the same apps I enjoyed using on my iPad through the nifty, if not quite as robust, Google Play store. Thus, the upshot of my personal experience with tablets is that I’m familiar with both Apple and Android platforms and aware of the strengths and limitations of each. I believe that my experience will allow me to comment on a wider range of topics in regard to tablets and user experience, than if I had stuck to just one platform or the other.

In my role as a Library Associate III at the University of Georgia’s Gwinnett Campus, I have some experience using tablets in the workplace as well. We own several iPads, but they’re mostly collecting dust at the moment (look for more on this predicament in another post). So in part, I’m writing this blog as a way to find ways to use these iPads in the library and to discover how other libraries are using their tablets. I’m also fascinated by technology, books, and current events, so I hope this blog will allow me to share these passions of mine with others as well. 

Burke, J. (2009). Neal-Schuman library technology companion: A basic guide for library staff (3rd ed.). New York: Neal-Schuman Publishers.

5 comments:

  1. The "Apple does not sell an official tablet of its own" line also made me chuckle. :P I just got a Nexus 7 myself; any apps you'd recommend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend the Moon+ Reader app for reading ebooks. I prefer it to the others because of its deep customization features and the ability to side load epub files. It also works well with the ColorDict dictionary app, which I like.

      I use the NYTimes app a lot, but that's because I have a subscription. It's not nearly as useful for non-subscribers, but still not bad.

      I haven't purchased many paid apps but I really like the Instapaper app that I use for storing and reading long articles that I want to read later. Maybe you've used Read It Later (now called Pocket) or something similar. I think it's like 5 bucks, but it was worth it in my opinion.

      Delete
  2. Ben,

    I'm interested to hear why your library tablets don't see much use! We have some in our library for the use of the librarians and they are pretty heavy demand. However, I'm not sure if they would circulate as much amongst our students. Even our laptop circulation is down from recent years—this is probably due to the fact that laptops are increasingly more affordable and we have not been able to replace ours in some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The primary reason why my library tablets don't see much use is because loss prevention policy forbids us to loan out tablets for multiple days. I'd be interested to hear more about the demand and use of tablets in your library.

      Delete
  3. I'm afraid this won't be much help since I don't remember where I read this, but SOMEWHERE I read that librarians are using tablets to become more mobile in their reference services to patrons. So, instead of sitting behind the reference desk--which tends to be intimidating to people who don't use the library often--librarians are roaming the stacks with tablets and offering assistance to patrons on the go. Sorry I couldn't remember my source!

    ReplyDelete